In a showdown with the toughest jobs, no tractor of its size rises to the occasion with so much ease. Designed with comfort and versatility in mind, the Challenger MT400D Series is ideal for loader work, hay production, planting and tillage, and is the perfect sidekick for tackling general on-the-farm use. With its compact wheelbase and industryleading four-cylinder AGCO POWER engine, the MT400D is sure to be the most maneuverable and versatile workhorse at your command.
• The new Tier 4i engines offer second-generation SCR Emission Technology, a diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC) and an EEM4 engine controller.
• These new features are in addition to specifications found on prior AGCO POWER engines, including: cross-flow cylinder heads with four valves per cylinder, wet cylinder liners with mid supports, turbocharging and air-to-air intercooler, high pressure common rail direct fuel injection, fracture split connecting rods and balanced rotating groups.
• With second-generation SCR technology, these engines offer the most farmer-friendly approach to meeting EPA standards, with no trade-offs in power, productivity or operating cost.
FRONT AXLE SUSPENSION
There’s simply no good reason performance and comfort can’t coexist in the field. An available front axle suspension system achieves both with a simple design that’s both durable and reliable. This hydraulic over mechanical system features a solid cast steel axle with center differential that rests in a suspended cradle. The suspension can be turned on and off via a push button in the cab during loader operation or whenever it is no longer needed. By pushing the front axle into the ground using the hydraulic suspension, the tractor experiences less power hop and wheel slip while improving ride quality for the operator. Now that’s smooth thinking.
AUTOPOWER IV & VI
The proven AutoPower IV and VI transmissions offer four or six powershift ratios that can be shifted under full load within four electro-hydraulically selected main ranges. That’s 16 and 24 speeds in both forward and reverse. The AutoPower VI has the most speeds in the industry with 24 available.
• Lever Mode (Speedmatching): standard operating mode that allows operators to toggle effortlessly between gears and ranges. Moving the T-handle or Power Control lever controls gear selection and travel speed.
• Pedal Mode (AutoDrive): Using either the foot or hand throttle will control ground speed by adjusting both engine speed and gear shifts.
TECHSTAR CVT TRANSMISSION
Simplicity and performance are at the heart of TechStar CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) – a technology pioneered by our engineers. Our CVT gives infinite ground speeds that are not dependent upon engine RPM, so you can access power reserves and speed choices normally hidden in the speed ranges between gears. Just move the control lever in the desired travel direction to select the right speed for the job. No shifting, jerking or delay in traction or power, just infinite control from creep to transport. Two continuously variable speed ranges provide stepless field speed selections from 0-17 mph (0-28 kph) and transport speeds from 0-25 mph (0-40 kph) with the standard front axle, and 0-32 mph (0-50 kph) with the optional OptiRide™ front-axle suspension system.
CVT Modes of Operation:
• Lever Mode: Standard operating mode uses left hand Power Control Lever or T-handle to adjust speed and keep transmission in proper torque range.
• Pedal Mode: Allows engine and travel speed adjustment with foot pedal operation to provide precise control when doing loader work, road transport or grain cart hauling.
• Forager Mode: Industry-exclusive ability to control ground speed with foot pedal while maintaining constant engine RPMs. Ideal for baling and other PTO applications.
The hydraulic systems on the MT400D Series are designed to cope with the heavy demands of high capacity implements and heavy-lifting loaders. Not to mention, each tractor comes with a wide range of options and flexible features for virtually any application. The most basic, but by no means low-grade, option is an open center system with a single pump that delivers 15 gpm to the 3-point hitch, loader and implements. For day-to-day farm use, it’s more than up to completing the task in due time. An available Twin Flow system is an open center hydraulic system that features two engine-driven pumps – a 15 gpm pump dedicated to the rear 3-point hitch, and an 11 gpm pump dedicated to the implement system. The operator can combine the hydraulic flow of both pumps at the press of a button, achieving 26 gpm of hydraulic flow to the implement system and loader.
For the highest hydraulic performance, a Closed-Center Load-Sensing (CCLS) hydraulic system delivers up to 29 gpm of flow, instantly and on demand, to implements and attachments. A variable displacement piston pump provides quick response and great performance without wasting horsepower.